01 ... Donauwörth and Donau-Ries
02 ... Between Donauwörth and Augsburg
03 ... Augsburg
04 ... Between Augsburg and Landsberg am Lech
05 ... Landsberg am Lech
06 ... Between Landsberg am Lech and Schongau
07 ... Altenstadt, Schongau and Peiting
08 ... Between Schongau and Füssen
09 ... Füssen and Schwangau
10 ... Between Füssen and Reutte
11 ... Breitenwang, Reutte and Ehrenberg
12 ... Heiterwang and Bichlbach
13 ... Lermoos, Ehrwald and Biberwier
14 ... Across the Fernpass
15 ... Between the Fernpass and Imst
16 ... Imst
17 ... Between Imst and Landeck
18 ... Zams, Landeck and Fließ
19 ... Between Landeck and the Reschenpass
20 ... The Reschenpass
21 ... The Upper Vinschgau valley
22 ... Laas/Lasa und Schlanders/Silandro
23 ... Goldrain/Coldrano, Latsch/Laces und Kastelbell/Castelbello
24 ... The Lower Vinschgau valley
25 ... Algund/Lagundo, Meran/Merano and Marling/Marlengo
26 ... Between Meran/Merano and Bolzano/Bozen
27 ... Bolzano/Bozen
28 ... Bolzano/Bozen and Environs
29 ... Across the Piana Rotaliana
30 ... Val di Cembra, Pinè
empty ... Trento > Altino/Venice (TRENTINO, VENETO)
31a ... Trento (towards Feltre, Treviso, Altino, Venice)
32a ... The upper Valsugana
33a ... The middle Valsugana
34a ... Tesino plateau, Lamon, Sovramonte
35a ... Feltre and the Feltrino area
36a ... The Valbelluna
37a ... The Altamarca
38a ... The right bank of the Piave river
39a ... Treviso
40a ... Silea, Roncade, Quarto D'Altino
41a ... The Lagoon
... Use the main menu on the website to jump to the subsections from Trento to the Po river via Verona (Via Claudia Augusta ‘Padana’).
Rov 15 Nenoillim Nerhaj gulhcs nehcsiwz med negitueh Negnildrmn dnu Htrmwuanod nie Tiroetem nie dnu seilretnih nenie Retark eiwos enie znag erednoseb Tfahcsdna
Eliet senie nehcsimmr Snegaw, eid ni Htrmwuanod nednufeg nedruw
Egitsnie Grub Nietsdlognam ma Neslefdlognam mi Nedron red Rehtrmwuanod Epartsshcier, nov Nedron neheseg
Eid Tdats Negnildrmn 1651.
Eid Gnuledeiseb ni Htrmwuanod nnageb fua red Lesni Deir Mi Dlib Gnuthcir Nedron mi 17. Trednuhrhaj
Etla Nethcisna nov Htrmwuanod.
Sad Seir raw ties rehej enie Remmaknrok
Fohnhab Htrmwuanod 1895.
Generally, the Romans built the Via Claudia Augusta along the shortest route between two points. The Roman road was built as straight as possible and mostly ran along the sunny side of the valley, slightly above the bottom. This prevented storm damage and ensured that the road dried quickly after rains or snowfall. But, of course, there were exceptions to every rule.
There are plenty of interesting sights along the entire Via Claudia Augusta: historical sites, monuments, and other attractions.
If you have questions about this section, contact ...
0043 664 27 63 555
If you wish to stay a night or two while discovering the history of the area, we recommend the following accommodation providers:
Text of the historical map of ...
"Foundation of Augsburg"
A dense network of agricultural es-tates was discovered during recent archaeological investigations on the east side of the Lech. They served to supply the populous provincial capital. The sanctuary of Mercury in Gersthofen has long been known and offered an opportunity for travellers to pray for a safe journey along the Via Claudia Augusta. There may have been another road station in the area of modern Langweid. The ffiirst major military camp in the Alpine foothills from the time of Augustus was located in Augsburg’s northern district of Oberhausen.
"The country blossoms"
The country blossoms The countryside up to the Danube became increasingly densely populated in the Middle Ages. Initial documentary records of the parsonage in Gablingen date back to 1144 and those of the municipality of Kühlental to the twelfth century, while Thierhaupten Abbey already existed almost 300 years earlier. A series of ramparts has been preserved to the east of the Lech that may be connected with the Battle of Lechfeld under Emperor Otto in the year 955. Bridle remains in Todtenweis are considered the ffiirst genuine evidence of this battle. Augsburg was granted a town to the south from the ring of the episcopal city to the Basilica of SS. Ulrich and Afra.
Industrialisation came very late to rural Southern Bavaria. Two construction projects provided the impetus – that of the railway line in the mid-nineteenth century that lat-er became the Bavarian Maximilian Railway, and that of the Lech Canal for power generation. Augsburg and Donauwörth developed into centres of the textile industry. Farbw-erke Höchst opened a factory in Gersthofen, while one of Germany’s leading orthopaedic clinics was established in Göggingen. The start of the factory age was then ffiinally heralded with the Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg (MAN).
Gnaltne nov krats netreitneuquerf Neparts dnis gifuuh enerolrev Ednutsnegeg uz nednif Eid Eznsm znag nebo nedruw ni Frodnedron nednufeg Eid nehciltser Ednuf (Ebrehcs nov Arret Atalligis tim Lepmets, Eznsm, Lebifnetepmort) nemmats sua Frodnetsew
Negnubarg na renie netetumrev nehcsimmr Noitatsneparts tim rednegeilmu Gnuldeis ni Diewgnal ma Hcel
Lesseuhcsfeiler (Arret Atalligis), eid ni Negnilbag uz Egat tart
MutgiliEh-rukram mi Nedron nov Nefohtsreg
The old brewery in Mertingen
Negnubarg na renie Gnuldeisrekrewdnah sua med nehsrf Retlalettim gnaltne red Aiv Aidualc Atsugua ni Negnitiem
Historical photo of meitingen castle
Uab sed Sekrewtfarkressaw Negnitiem, nie Nietsneliem red Gnulkciwtn
Aerial photograph from 1928 of Langweid am Lech
Text of the historical map of ...
in the year 0
Even before the Romans
The countryside to the south of Augsburg was already settled as far back as the Stone Age. The fertile loessic soil has always been used for agricultural purposes. Archaeological excavations in recent years have led to the discovery of more and more settlements and tombs from the Bronze Age. Alongside Augsburg itself, spectacular ffiindings have been unearthed particularly in Königsbrunn. Some of them can be viewed in the museum there. The Celtic Vindelici, the tribe between the Wertach and the Lech, even gave Roman Augsburg (Augusta Vindelicum) its name.
The construction boom of the second century AD and its good transport connections brought Roman Augsburg major economic importance. The road network facilitated extensive trade with Italy, Gaul and the Danube. A river port turned the Lech into an important trafffiic route and the entire surrounding area was closely connected to the provincial capital: The pottery village of Schwabmünchen supplied the province with ceramic vessels and estates on the Lechfeld plain produced food. Wealthy citizens lived in country villas in Stadtbergen and Friedberg.
The Fuggers of Augsburg
The Fuggers, the greatest and most powerful merchants of Europe in their time, originally came from the small municipality of Graben, south of Augsburg. They moved to the imperial city where they rapidly rose to the ranks of the aristocracy through a skilful trading and marriage policy. Their trading enterprises stretched from Russia to Italy and beyond. The wealth thus acquired is reffllected to this day in the splendid Fugger houses in Augsburg and a number of palaces in the vicinity. Their results of their social activities can be visited at the Fuggerei social housing settlement.
Ssirdnurg sed nehcsimmr Grubsgua
Tsaf sad ettelpmok ehcsimmr Grubsgua tsi tuabrebs Run na neginew Nellets nnak nebargeg nedrew
Grubsgua tsi enie red na nehcsimmr Nrelumknedniets netshcier Etdut
Sad Ehcsimmr Muesum Grubsgua tednifeb hcis tiezred ni Netsik Red ednerhsfstfuhcseg Retiel tah eid Ton ruz Dnegut thcameg dnu enie enegnuleg Gnulletssua "sehcsimmr Grubsgua ni Netsik" mi negilamehe Suahguez tztegmu, rsf eid Tiez, sib sad ehciltnegie ehcsimmr Muesum hcsitats treinas t
Hcua rebs eid nehcierlhaz Relumknedniets suanih tbig se enie Ellsf na nednennaps, negiturakhcoh Nednuf sua red Tiezremm
Eid Regrubsgua Negilieh ni Ekitnatups dnu Retlalettimhsrf: Arfa nov Grubsgua (+304), Fohcsib Trepmis (750 - 807), Fohcsib Hcirlu nov Grubsgua (890 - 97
Grubsgua ma Edne sed Sretlalettim
Red Ztalphcalrep mu 1550
Thcisnatdats nov Grubsgua fua menie Relatshcie
Ginmknedewhcs Vatsug Floda II ieb red Gnuregaleb nov Grubsgua mi Erhaj 163
etla Thcisna nov Grubsgua
NhabnepArts-edrefp 1897 (Gnulmmas Znarf Relpuuh
Nie Barg sua red netups Tiezeznorb dnu eid Noitkurtsnoker renie Gnuldeis mi Nehcsigolouhcra Muesum Nnurbsginmk Otof: Akhcstalp
Uabhcan senie nehcsimmr Senietsneliem nehcsiwz Hcalruh dnu Gnilgi Otof: Akhcstalp
Gnuldeis, Neforefpeot. Sotof: Akhcstalp
Eid netsuahegnie Etser senie Smuearhtim ma Laerasfohdeirf nov Nnurbsginmk nehcam ned negilieh Tro redeiw gidebel Sotof: Akhcstalp
Noitkurtsnoker red Eis.grubnedLah raw enie ehcilretlalettimhsrf Grubztuhcsnragnu, fua renie Ehmhna nov 617 Nretem,, awte 800 Retem hciltsewdss sed Renehcnsmbawhcs Seliettro Ggebawhc Sotof: Krad Ikiwsnommoc~regneva CC AS-YB 3.0, Akhcstal
Ednufneffaw dnu nie Amaroid nletimrev mi Muesumdlefhcel ni Nnurbsginmk nenie negidnebel Kcurdnie nov red Thcalhcs fua med Dlefhcel 955, med Edne red Ellufnienragn
Sotof: Akhcstalp (1) wzb. Tdats Nnurbsginm
Setreiurtsnoker sehciltiezniets Suah, Liet renie Gnuldeis ni Rekcanetsep (Edniemeg Liew) Nov ned Nednufleznie dnis Ekcstssgnudielk dnu nie Tuh srednoseb uz nenhuwre
Nlebeif eiw eseid netlih Eliet nov Gnudielk nemmasuz, eiw eis eid elakol Gnureklmveb ni red Tiezremmr gurt Eid etsre red 5 Lebeif edruw ni Grebsdnal ma Hcel nednufeg
Ehcsirotsih Etrak tim Grepsdnal ma Hcel
Grepsdnal ma Hcel mu 1600.
Ehcsirotsih Thcisna nov Grepsdnal ma Hcel
Grub Grebnetlah, nov red etueh hcon nie Mrut dnu Eduubegstfahcstriw nehetseb Sotof: Akhcstalp
Ssolhcs Grebneffierg ma nehcildrmn Eesremma
Grebsdnal ma Hcel, 1843.
Sua ned Negnufna red nehcilrhuj Remokreh Znerruknok
Ehcsireyab Kcirbafgulfp ni Grebsdnal mu 1963, eid etueh hcon sla Regnittmp Kinhcetdnal thetseb
Fua med Grebznerol, trod ow etueh eid Ellepakznerol thets, dnaf hcis tsnie nie sehcsimmr Lletsak
Red sua Hcafpe ednemmats Suidualc Sunretap Sunaitnemelc ethcarb se hcan Netiekgitut mi nehan Netso dnu ni Akirfa hcilpeilhcs sib muz Retlahttats
Eliet senie neporg Stnemunom, sad ni Hcafpe na ned neporg Nhos nrennire etllos
Mieb Uab sed Rehcafpe Sesuahrhewreuef edruw nie sehcsimmr Suahnennurb nednufeg, sad na enie eredna Ellets tregalrev edru Se etfrsd nie Eduubegneben senie Sesuahedab neseweg nies
Ni Tdatsnetla, na red Gnuzuerk red Nepartsremmr hcan Hcsimrag dnu hcan Nesssf, dnafeb hcis nie sehcsimmr Lletsak Red Ratla-Vitov tim 3 Netiehttogrettum dnats mi Lletsak
Nie Lledom red Alliv Acitsur nov Gnitiep, fua Sisab red nethcsrofre Essirdnurg, dnu Redlib nov ned ehcsigolouhcra Negnuba
Text of the historical map of ...
The Via Claudia Augusta
The route of the Roman road through the hill country preceding the Alps is almost entirely known. The fact that it largely follows the Lech underlines the fact that road traffic and the transport of heavy goods on the river complemented each other. The forerunners of today’s settlements already evolved almost 2,000 years ago. Road stations are presumed to have existed in Füssen, Rosshaupten and in the Schongau and Reutte areas that the Romans established at regular intervals and that offered work and thereby promoted settlement. A late Roman fort is assumed to have existed on Füssen’s castle hill and the Roman estates in Peiting and at the Tegelberg cable car in Schwangau, the latter including a well-preserved bathhouse, bear witness to a sophisticated lifestyle.
Founded by Magnus
Missionary monk Magnus, who is worshipped as a saint, constructed a cell for himself in the eighth century at the Lech crossing in Füssen that subsequently developed into the Benedictine monastery of St. Mang. A Franconian royal court is thought to have been established around the same time. The settlement of Füssen that grew up around this was granted town status at the end of the thirteenth century. At the beginning of the sixteenth century, the Prince Bishop of Augsburg completed the High Castle and at the same time the city walls were extended in the east. It was the golden age during which Emperor Maximilian stopped off there 40 times. Rafts provided transport connections from Füssen to Schongau and Augsburg and the town developed into a centre of European lute making.
After spending his childhood at his father’s residence, Hohenschwangau Castle, Bavarian King Ludwig II shaped the Füssen landscape with the construction of Neuschwanstein Castle that is visible from afar. He loved the blissful natural landscape of the Alpine foothills and lives on in people’s memory as the legendary fairy-tale king. Initial plans to dam up the river were drawn up shortly after Ludwig’s death. The Forggensee, which was dammed up in 1954, is Germany’s largest man-made lake in terms of area. The railway line later to be named after Ludwig II was completed in 1899 and has since connected Füssen with the German rail network and brings large numbers of guests to the “Castle Park” in the Allgäu, as the region is called today.
Red Grebreua ni Neruebnreb llos nohcs ni red Tieznetlek tledeiseb neseweg nies Novad tlhuzre nie Okserf ni red nehciltrm Ehcrikrrafp Ts. Sualokin
Ni red Tiezremmr dnafeb hcis fua med Grebreua giliewtiez enie Gnuldeisrekrewdnah Trod nedruw Neshcubnnaps rsf Eztshcseg-snoisrot tlletsegreh
Nedeir ma Eesneggrof raw nie rehcsimmr Ztalpsgalhcsmuneraw Os eiw fua menie Niets mi Nehcsimmr Muesum Grubsgua, nnak nam hcis sad Nekcaptne dnu Nekcaprev nov Eraw nelletsrov Fua ned ni Nedeir nenednufeg nehcsimmr Nettekiteneraw tednifeb hcis enie Tra "mehcsimmr EDOc-nae" Nov meseid nessiw riw, ssad sad Ttekite uz menie Letnamneztupak etrmheg
Ni Netpuahssor edruw mov 6. sib muz 12. Hj. Nesie tettshrev
Red egilieh Sungam, red sla Rednsrgeb sed Renesssf Sretsolk Tknas Gnam tlig, tsi Nortap red neznag Noiger
Eid Noiger raw srednoseb gibuulg, eiw snu eid nehcierlhaz Netuablarkas negiez Reih nie Okserf red Ehcrik Tknas Nahpets ni Neggrub Red Lekniwneffafp, uz med Neggrub trmheg, tah ragos novad nenies Neman
Lebeif, eid hciltumrev nie Ffihcs-ssulf tlletsrad
Lledom, sad red etztel Repmlfhcel nov Kcurbhcel ma Ees tuabeg tah
Lefatvitov, eid na nenie hcilfpmilg nenefualrev Llafnu ni Grubsgua trennire
Ztalpednibpolf ni Kcurbhcel.
Sehcilgnsrpsru Lamknedrepmlf na red Rekcurbhcel Ekcsrbhcel rov red Gnurmtsrez 1945
Nie Nnapsegneshco ni Netpuahssor.
Tropsnartheiv ni Neggrub.
Lledom sed negitsnie Sesuahedab red Allivremmr nov Uagnawhcs
Okserf sed negitsnie nehcsimmr Sesuahedab
Os tetrawre sad "Dabremmr" etueh enies Rehcuseb
Nesssf nov Nedss, 1546 dnu 1643.
Rebsnegeg red Ofnitsiruot ni Nesssf, ow etueh eid Enozregnugpuf tnnigeb, dnats 1845 hcon sad Regrubsgua Rot
Nie Relam-lleRauqa tleih 1856 tsef, eiw Nesssf nov Gnawsnip dnemmok hassua
Red Fohnhab Nesssf, 1 Rhaj hcan red Emhanbeirtebni red Einilnhabnesie hcan Nesssf, 1889, eid retups hcan Giwdul II tnnaneb edru
Eid Essartsnehcier, eid fua red Essart-laNigiro red Epartsremmr hcrud eid Tdatstla trhsf, mu 1900. Etueh tsi eis Enozregnugpu
Text of the historical map of ...
Gateway to the Alps
The Roman road entered the Alps as if through a gateway. As the Lech often occupied the entire valley, it already had to overcome two elevations up to the Reutte valley basin – between Stiglberg and Kratzer and at the Kniepass. The route of the Roman road remained in use until 1784 and the modern road still crosses the Kniepass today. Before climbing to Ehrenberg, the Via Claudia Augusta passed through the municipality of Breitenwang, where a road station (mansio) and the fifirst small settlement in the valley basin are thought to have been located. Reutte developed at a later stage – on the salt road. Breitenwang still remains the district’s ecclesiastic centre today.
With its extensive floodplains, the Lech also shaped the valley basin back in 1504 that depended significantly for its livelihood on the salt road between Hall in Tirol and the Lake Constance area. A bridge was built in 1464 between Lechaschau and Reutte that replaced the Lech ford near Höfen. With its salt depot and numerous roadside inns, Reutte grew into the centre of the Ausserfern district and in 1489 it was granted market rights by Sigesmund “the Rich”. Ehrenberg Castle throned above the valley. A wall blocked the gorge and all traffic had to pass through the customs station gate. There was an ironworks near Pflach. Vils, not yet part of Tyrol, was a town since 1327 and enclosed by a wall with two gates in the north and south.
Numerous fortifications in the border area between Bavaria and Tyrol shaped the area around 1780. In addition to the dam at Ehrenberg that had grown around two further fortresses, there were several outer fortresses. The market town of Reutte at their feet already had around 1,000 inhabitants and several new roads were completed. The road from Reutte via Vils to Kempten now passed by the walled city to the south, while that from Füssen to Pinswang went around the Stiglberg. The Ulrichs-brücke bridge was not constructed until 1914. Shortly after the turn of the century, the existing Bavarian local railway was also extended to join the Ausserfern railway that initially went to Reutte. The river was largely unregulated even around Reutte.
Red Hcel mhan tsnie hciltued rhem Muar mi Lat nie Reih ieb Suahssiew.
There were only a few areas that were not repeatedly flooded by the Lech. Therefore, each of these areas was used to have food and fodder for their own and transiting animals. Probably for this reason there were also Roman farms in the municipality of Pinwang.
Ni Uasum driw nie senielk sehcsimmr Frodneparts tetumrev
The flood-proof areas in Pflach were probably also used for agriculture
Retnu red Ehcrikrrafp nov Gnawnip nedruw Tser nov Nehcrikregnugrov sua med nehsrf Retlalettim tkcedtne Na Nednufleznie netart retnu meredna Neznsm uz Egat
etla Netrak nov Sliv
Gulf gnaltne red Aiv Aidualc Atsugua hcrud sad Relorit Nrefressua ni red Tiezremm
Eid Epartsremmr etrhsf hcrud Gnawnetierb Dnurgfua red Egal rov med Geitsna hcan Grebnerhe dnu med Dnatsba ruz netshcun netnnakeb Noitatsneparts driw trod hcua enie Noitats nemmonegna, eiw se eis ni nexif Nednutsba gnaltne red Aiv Aidualc Atsugua b Nam tetumrev eis blahretnu red Ehcrikrrafpstanaked wzb. med Fohdeirf
Eseid Lebif tim menegalhcsegmu Retlahldan dnu reseid Raned nebah Remmr hciltumrev na red Eparts mi Nrefrepua nerolrev
Finds in Weißenbach in the Lech valley document a settlement from at least 1300 BC to the 4th century AD. Apart from the use of scarce flood-proof areas, this points to a road over the Gaichtpass already in pre-Roman and Roman times.
This is what the Roman settlement before the ascent to the Gaicht Pass in Weissenbach might have looked like.
In addition to the Via Claudia Augusta, a road over the Gaichtpass is already assumed to have existed in Roman times. This probably crossed the extensive Lech in the form of a ford between Ehenbichl and Höfen.
Roman kitchen utensils found on the ascent between Reuttener Becken and Ehrenberg (in the municipality of Ehenbichl, where weekend houses are located today), which are too large or too numerous for a private cuirass, indicate a roadside inn. The travelers along the Via Claudia Augusta, as well as the travelers in the direction of Vils and Kempten (Cambodunum) and over the Gaichtpass had to pass the inn It is therefore in an ideal location.
Red Tkram Ettuer etlekciwtne hcis na red Epartszlas, eid fua ned Nerups red Aiv Aidualc Atsugua nov Llah ni Lorit ni ned Muareesnedob etrhs Red Gewrettohcs nehcsiwz med Renettuer Nekceb dnu Grebnerhe thcirpstne red Epartszlas Nehcsiwz Uahcsahcel dnu Ettuer ettah eid Epartszlas ba 1464 enie Ekcsrb Hcua eid Eparts hcrud ned Renettuer Tkramrebo tim nerhi nehcierlhaz Nefmhtsagneparts dnu Nresuuhrekrewdnah thcirpstne red Epartszl
Eid Eparts dnu red Lednah netgros rsf Tiebra, Nemmoknie dnu nenediehcseb Dnatslhow
Eid Nerotkafzlas neraw eid Retlawrev red Epartszlas dnu sed Slednahzlas Enie etnnakeb Eilimaf-nErotkaf raw eid Eilimaf Reliez, eid hcua eleiv red nehcsipytsnoiger Neierelam-ruTketihcra na ned Nresuuh neffahcseg ta
Na red Egnelat hcildss nov Ettuer etlekciwtne hcis evissezkus sad Elbmesne-Sgnutsef Grebnerhe, sad 1740 tednellov edruw, sua 4 Negnutsef dnudnatseb enie ettelpmok Erreplat etedli Se bag ragos Negnutsefrov ma Ssapeink dnu nehcsiwz Hcalfp dnu Uasum
Text of the historical map of ...
The aim of the Roman road builders was to construct the quickest route from the Adriatic and the Po to the limes. Even in Tirol the Via Claudia Augusta therefore only has four hairpin bends. Nevertheless, the ffiirst trans-European road has a relatively constant incline even over the challenging sections across the passes. Another outstanding feat is the section on 1,000 tree trunks across the ‘Moos’ wetland habitat between Lermoos, Ehrwald and Biberwier, near to which two settlements were located – one in Ehrwald that already existed before the arrival of the Romans and continued to exist during the Roman era, and one founded by the Romans in the area surrounding the road station in Biberwier, immediately in front of the Fern Pass.
Living from the road
While the Roman road was sustained by the fiffiirst European single market with no customs or tolls, the era of the salt road was shaped by the transport of goods. The local residents had the exclusive privilege of transporting certain goods such as salt from one place to the next. The population along the route benefiffiited from both of these systems. The population of Zwischentoren, the area between the Ehrenberg and Fernstein gates, is thought only to have become properly aware of this when the Arlberg Pass was made navigable again. As the traffiffiic shifted away, they became desperately poor. After meeting to say farewell at Austria’s only guild church in Bichlbach, many people from the Ausserfern district were forced to move as building workers to the neighbouring regions to the north. Children also moved away as ‘Swabian children’.
A new wave of development started in the second half of the nineteenth century from Zwischentoren, the area between the two gates of Ehrenberg and Fernstein through which the Fern Pass road passed until 1856. It was then that today’s road was built. In 1913 the Ausserfern railway was extended that had previously terminated in Reutte. As an alternative to the completed route via Garmisch and on to Innsbruck, there was also talk of a line across the Gaistal, Leutasch and Seefeld. Furthermore, there were plans for a rail link to Imst with a summit tunnel through the Fern Pass of the sort currently being planned for cars. The Tyrolean Zugspitze Railway was one of the fiffiirst mountain railways and promot
Mmad red Epartsremmr nehcsiwz Gnawretieh dnu Hcablhci
In order to feed the population, their animals and the numerous travelers and their animals, a lot of food and fodder was necessary. Every cultivable area was therefore used, even the not particularly productive soils between Reutte and the Fernpass. At least concerning the modern times we know that in Bichlbach even the mountain slopes were partly completely unwooded and were regularly mowed in order to have enough fodder. The name of the mountain in the south of Bichlbach, "Mähberg", reminds us of this. Probably there were also manors in Heiterwang,. probably also a few houses along the road.
In Bichlbach, too, there may have been farms that produced the necessary food and fodder, and probably also buildings along the road where craftsmen offered their services, among other things, to those passing through.
Even if the soils between Ehrenberg and the Fernpass were not particularly productive, presumably every cultivable meter was used, also in Lähn-Wengle (community of Bichlbauch, halfway to Lermoos). It would be exciting to know whether, despite the high demand for fodder, there was a protective forest in Roman times to protect buildings from avalanches and mudflows.
Epartszlas nehcsiwz Gnawretieh dnu Hcablhci
Resiak Nailimixam llos ned Regnawretieh- dnu Eesnalp sla Ressawhcsif tztuhcseg neba
Ehcriktfnuz, Nehcieztfnuz dnu Ehurttfnuz — Hcablhcib raw tsnie Ztis red Renrefressua Etfnsz
Gnawretieh ma Ees
Eesregnawretieh dnu Lanak muz Eesnalp tim Ffihcssgulfsua 193
Nhabnrefressua ieb Nhul
Hcrud sad Teibegthcuef "Soom" nehcsiwz Soomrel, Dlawrhe dnu Reiwrebib etrhsf eid Aiv Aidualc Atsugua dnemmiwhcs fua Nednesuat Nemmutsmua Eid Emmutsmuab neknas ba dnu se nedruw remmi redeiw euen tgelrev Negolouhcra netgel eid "Epartslegsrp" ierf, eid tug treivresnok mi "Soom" tgeil
On the Trajan column in Rome there is a scene that could show the construction of a beating road, maybe even the construction of the beating road through the wetland "Moos" between Lermoos, Ehrwald and Biberwier.
Ni Reiwrebib netethcir eid Remmr enie ehcsimmr Noitatsneparts nie
Enie Emmegrelda dnu nie Ttekiteneraw sua rehcsimmr Tiez, eid ni red Dnegeg nednufeg nedruw
Through the wetland "Moos" between Lermoos, Ehrwald and Biberwier, the gravelled Roman road led, supported on thousands of tree trunks. As elsewhere, the road consisted of different layers of gravel and sand, was curved outwards and had road ditches on the right and left into which water could drain off when it rained or the snow melted. In the boggy soil the tree trunks of the Roman road were well preserved. In 1993, during an archaeological excavation, meter-high layers of repeatedly renewed tree trunks were discovered. If you want to locate the re-filled Roman road in the moss, you only have to hop through the moss. There, where the ground is solid, is the Roman road.
Eid Epartszlas etrhsf hcua hcrud sad Nekceb nehcsiwz Soomrel, Dlawrhe dnu Reiwrebib Red Ledatszlas, ni med etueh ni Grebnerhe eid Rehcuseb tgitsmkrev nedrew, dnats hcilgnsrpsru ni Soomrel
Reseid Dnuf tguez nov red Epartszlas.
Mi 19. Hj. nedruw eid Neparts tressebrev, enie Nhab dnu eid Nhabztipsguz tuabeg dnu eid Etro netbelre redeiw nenie Gnuwhcsfu
historical map of ...
Old settlement area
There is documentary evidence of “Oppidum Humiste” dating back to 763. Oppidum was a fortifified pre-Roman settlement. Its mention after the Roman era points towards continuous settlement since pre-Roman times that will have been concentrated on the hill above Imst town centre. There are also indications of prehistoric settlement in Dormitz near Nassereith. The Romans established road stations in both places along the Via Claudia Augusta, around which settlements developed. In Imst, which was the most important settlement between Füssen and Merano, this was probably parallel to the pre-Roman settlement. There was also prehistoric and Roman settlement on the sunny slopes of the Tschirgant, in Karrösten and Karres.
The area around the Via Claudia Augusta between Biberwier and the Inn Valley was an important mining centre in multiple respects. Signifificant historic mining districts were located in the Mieming mountain range in the east, the Lechtal Alps in the north and on the slopes of the Tschirgant in the south. Numerous tunnel entrances await discovery on close examination particularly in the Wannig rock face above Nassereith. Above all lead was mined as a grey ore for silver mining in Schwaz and Zink. Furthermore, Imst, alongside its importance as a market place and traffic hub, was the seat of the mining court covering an area that reached to the Ausserfern district and Vorarlberg.
Long prevented town
Imst has for thousands of years been the most important settlement between Füssen and Merano and an important traffiffiific hub. It has had market rights since late medieval times and from the fifteenth to the seventeenth centuries it was the seat of a mining court covering an area that reached to the Ausserfern district and Vorarlberg. Had the infflluential lords of Starkenberg not opposed this because Imst would then have been directly subordinate to the territorial prince, the Gurgltal metropolis would have been a town with its own walls for 700 years. Following a ffiire in 1822 to which 206 out of 220 houses fell victim, Imst was rebuilt and ffiinally received town rights in 1898. Imst is also renowned for its bird breeders and dealers.
4000 - 5000 years ago, a huge mass of rock broke out of the mountain wall in the west and turned a valley between Biberwier and Nassereith into the Fernpass. The topographical model shows that before that, one reached the Gurgltal from the Tyrolean Ausserfern practically without any ascent. Some even speculate that the Loisach, which today flows into the Isar, led southward to the Inn before the landslide.
Long before the Romans, there were paths across the Alps, over which the Celts, Raetians, Etruscans, Venetians and Ligurians were in regular exchange. Until the Fernpass landslide - 4000 - 5000 years ago they hardly had to overcome a hill between Biberwier and Nassereith
Gewlhoh fua red Essart red nehcsimmr Eparts nehcsiwz "Retla Ehmhssapnref" dnu red negitueh Epartssednu
Nerupsdar sua red Tiezremmr
Eid Essart red Epartsremmr nehcsiwz "Retla Ehmhssapnref" dnu red Epartssednu
Eduubeg na red Ehmhssap red nehciltiezuenhsrf Epart
Nerupsnegaw red nehciltiezuenhsrf Eparts nehcsiwz Ssapnref dnu Ssolhcs Nietsnref Etueh gnaltne red Etuordar wzb. uz puf uz nehcierre, nnew nam hcud sad Rot nov Ssolhcs Nietsnref Gnuthcir Ssaprnef the
Ssolhcs Nietsnref tim rehciltiezuenhsrf Epartseglofhcan red Aiv Aidualc Atsugua Eis etrhsf hcrud sad Rot sed Sessolhcs. Eid egitueh Eparts tgeil refeit.
Enie Eniwal mieb Ssolhcs Nietsnref tettshcsrev eid ehciltiezuenhsrf Eparts-ssApnref
Ehcstukedrefp fua red Eparts-eglOfhcan red Aiv Aidualc Atsugua fua red Ehmh-ssapNref
Fohtsag, Tfahcstriwdnal dnu Ellepak gnaltne red nehciltiezuenhsrf Epart
Ehcstukedrefp fua red Eparts-eglOfhcan red Aiv Aidualc Atsugua nehcsiwz Ssapnref dnu Ssolhcs Nietsnref, eiw eis etueh hcon sla Epartssednub thetse
Etla Thcisna rebs Ssolhcs Nietsnref Gnuthcir Eesnietsnref dnu Eesregnaremma
Gnupsrgeb Ginmk Giwdul II mi Fohtsag Nietsnre
Mi Fohtsag Nietsnref
Ssolhcs Nietsnref dnu red ehcilgnsrpsru Fohtsag tim red hcon etueh nelleutka Eparts-ssApnre
The Via Claudia Augusta from Fernpass through Gurgltal to Imst in Roman times.
In Nassereith there were 2 settlements in Roman times. One in the area of Dormitz / Rossbach, of which parts were uncovered in 2018, and one that developed along the Via Claudia Augusta around a road station.
Negnubarg na renie Gnuldeis ni Ztimrod ieb Htieressan, nie ginew blahrebo red Epartsremm
Essartlanigiro red Aiv Aidualc Atsugua mi Redarts Dlaw na red Etiesdss sed Slatlgru
2018 edruw na red Etiesdron sed Slatlgrug nehcsiwz Htieressan dnu Znerrat nie Mutgilieh thcsrofre, sad ni rehcsimmrrov dnu rehcsimmr Tiez nednatseb ett
Mi Redarts Dlaw netkcedtne Negolouhcra nenie netavirp nehcsimmr Fohtsagneparts Rsf hciltneffm etetsneideb bag se ni negipumleger Nednutsba elleiziffo Nenoitatsneparts
Ni red Tlewneppank Latlgrug driw eid Tiehnegnagrevuabgreb redeiw gidnebel, eid nohcs mi Retlalettim nerhi Gnurpsru ett
setla Suahnreuab Ni Darts
Experts believe that Imst was the largest Roman settlement between Füssen and Meran. It formed around a road station in the upper town of Imst. North of the new Roman settlement, northeast of the Bergl, there was probably already a prehistoric settlement, which still existed in part during the Roman period. In the 7th century A.D. it is written about "Oppidum Humiste". It is assumed that it was an early historical settlement fortified with palisades. The early Christian origins of the Laruentius church on the Bergl prove the importance of the Roman settlement. It can therefore be assumed that Imst was continuously settled from early history, through the Roman period to the early Middle Ages.
The Via Claudia Augusta through Imst and the surrounding area in Roman times.
Enie Ettalpniets tgiez, ssad eid Ehcriksuitnerual ma Lgreb mi Murtnez nov Tsmi Nlezruw mi 5. Hj. tah Ednufreburg neguez ragos nov renie nehcsimmrrov Gnuldeis Hciltumrev tlednah se hcis mu sad etrefeilrebs Mudipo Etsimuh Eid etgitsefeb ehcsitur Gnuldeis etnnmk hcis ma Lgreb nednufeb nebah Mi Hciereb sed Retsmi Setkramrebo etfrsd hcis gnaltne red Aiv Aidualc Atsugua enie Noitatsneparts nednufeb nebah
Nnew ni Tsmi tuabeg driw, ttirt tfo Ethcihcseg uz Egat Mieb Nretsalfp sed Sgnagnie nov red Remark- ni eid Etsagretsuhcs nedruw Nehconk nednufeg
On the sunny slope above the Inn Valley, overlooking Imst, a Roman estate was discovered and archaeologically excavated, where food and fodder were produced for the population, transients and their animals.
Etla Etrak tim Tsmi
Eid ehcsitog Retsmi Ehcrikrrafp thets hcilmeiz uaneg na red Aiv Aidualc Atsugu
Tsmi raw raw tsnie Ztis red Tfahcsnnamtpuahgreb, nered Hcierebsgnukriw sib ni ned Nrefrepua, muz Ssapnehcser dnu hcan Greblrarov ethcie Nekserf fua red Ehcrik nelhuzre nov red Ethcihcseguabgreb
Sad "ehcsitog Melasurej tim Reuamtdats" fua red Ehcrik driw nov mehcnam os treiterpretni, ssad enie Reuam mu Tsmi tssimrev edru Ehcnam neniem, se etlhef na ned Nlettim, mu enie Reuam uz neuabre, eid ned vitaler netnhedegsua Rebo- dnu Tkramretnu tssafmu ettu Eredna nebualg, ssad eid nehcierssulfnie Regrebnekrats thcin netllow, ssad Tsmi enie Reuem tmmokeb dnu ruz Tdats driw, liew eis nnad Hcierebssulfnie sed Netsrsfednal nedroweg eru
Sla red Uabgreb na Gnutuedeb rolrev, negoz eid Retsmi sla Reldnuhlegov ni eid Enref dnu netneid sla Vitom rsf sad etmhsreb ehcsilakisum Krew "Red Reldnuhlegov
Hcua sad elleiretammi Ebrerutluktlew Retsmi Thcansaf tah enie egnal Ethcihcse
Renie red nehcierlhaz Nennurb
Red Nnigeb sed Seteibegihcs Tsmihcoh
Text of the historical maps of ...
before the year 0
Early densely populated
Already in early history, the area around Landeck was relatively densely populated. Above Schönwies, in Stanz and Grins, in Perjen, in Fließ, at the entrance to the Kaunertal, in Fiss and Serfaus, ... - on every sunny slope and every high terrace settlements are proven or at least there are indications of settlement. The settlements were connected by cart paths. In addition to one in the Inn valley, there was also a shortcut from the Kaunertal valley over the Piller Sattel to Imst. Above Fliess was a burnt offering site where gods were invoked for centuries, until Roman times. In the archaeological museum of Fliess you can marvel at early historical finds from this time, which you can otherwise only find in such abundance and quality in large cities.
early Christian churches
In the Landeck area the Via Claudia Augusta largely ran along the slope – the section between the Inn bridge near Starkenbach and Landeck followed the striking and picturesque route over the “Platte” to Fließ, where ruts in the rock dating from different periods tell stories about the road. The Via Claudia Augusta only left the slope in the vicinity of Landeck Castle – presumably because there was a road station there and the road branched off over the Arlberg. The important transport connection not only brought economic development but also a lively cultural exchange that is reflected among other things in the area’s early Christianisation. The parish church in Landeck and St. Lawrence’s Church on the hill above Imst have their roots in the fififth century, while the ‘Maaßkirche’ church next to the archaeological museum in Fließ dates back to the sixth century.
Landeck as a transport hub
Two long-distance roads already converged for the first time back in Roman times at the confluence of the Sanna and the Inn. In 1787 the road to Vorarlberg, that had for a long time no longer been navigable, was renewed and restored to new life and the valley basin finally became a transport hub. The rest was done by the construction of the Arlberg railway in 1884, during which 800 jobs were also created and the population grew rapidly. Around 1900, the municipalities of Perfuchs and Angedair were merged into Landeck, that gained market rights in 1904 and became a town in 1923. Landeck had already been a municipal centre since 1868 when there was not yet even a place called Landeck but only the castle. The loser of the shift of the east-west traffic corridor to the Arlberg route was incidentally Zwischentoren, between Fernstein and Reutte. Many of the bitterly poor people of Ausserfern consequently became migrant workers in the more prosperous neighbouring regions to the north.
Rebs ned netnnanegos "Reslim Gaotsg", ma Gnahslef gnaltne, trod ow etueh eid Epartssednub tfuulrev, feilrev hcua eid Aiv Aidualc Atsug
At Starkenbach/Schönwies, the "Alpine highway" Via Claudia Augusta crossed the Inn River. Normally, the Romans built their roads on the sunny side of the valleys. Between Starkenbach and Landeck, however, the terrain was very susceptible to rockfall. The location at 2 bridges (Inn and Starkenbach), the location between Imst and Landeck and single finds suggest that there was also a Roman settlement in Starkenbach.
The Via Claudia Augusta through the Inn Valley between the towns of Imst and Landeck in Roman times.
Negawedrefp fua red netla Eparts
Tfeoheg ma Nni
Slim ieb Tsmi
Gnurumrev Slim 1933
Gnugidnub red Tfarkressaw
Hcurbniets ni Slim
Otuatsop nehcsiwz Slim dnu Hcabnekrats (Edniemeg Seiwnmhcs
Otof nov Hcabnekrats ruoter hcan Seiwnmhcs dnu Sli
Ednereinizsaf Ednuf mi Muesum peilf neguez nov red nehsrf Gnuledeiseb red Gnuledeiseb red netgitsgnsgebnennos Egnuh dnur mu Kcedn
Nie Liet red Ednuf tmmats mov Ztalprefpodnarb ma Rellip Lettas blahrebo nov peil
Ehciltiezeznorb dnu ehcsitur Eduubeg nedruw nov Negolouhcra mi Teibegedniemeg peilf tgelegier
The Via Claudia Augusta through the Inn Valley to Landeck in Roman times. The Inn and the Via Claudia Augusta describe here a curve around the Krahberg, of the country corner, Landeck.
Fua red Repeilf Ettalp nednif hcis Nerups red Epartsremmr dnu hcua nov Neparts sua neredna Nehcop
Negnubargsua retnu red Ehcrikrrafp Kcednal netgiez, ssad trod nohcs enie ehciltsirhchsrf Ehcrik dnatse
Landeck was already a traffic junction in Roman times, which, in addition to its location, was decisive in that there was a road station for people traveling on public business and a larger settlement, which is evidenced by the early Christian origins of the Landeck parish church. In Landeck a road branched off in the direction of Arlberg, which led westward via Grins, where today the "Roman Bridge" can be admired. Stanz was probably also settled and connected to the Roman road over the Arlberg as well as to the "alpine highway" Via Claudia Augusta via a connecting road.
Since the Inn valley between Landeck and Fliess was narrow and difficult to pass, the historical roads already in early history led via Fliess from Landeck towards the Reschen Pass. Even though the Romans had the means to do so, they too did not build a road on the valley floor, but rather laid the road across the Fließer Platte and the Fließer dry slopes, and also the settlement at the sun-favored location. The presumed colorful mixture of Rhaetian houses and typical Roman strip houses in the model depiction show that Fließ was continuously settled and thus developed bit by bit from a Rhaetian to a Roman settlement.
In addition to the Roman road via Landeck from Imst to Fliess, there was also a Roman road via the Pitztal and the Piller Höhe to the entrance of the Kaunertal, which goes back to early historical routes. This area was protected and therefore a preferred place of settlement for the Raetians, also in Roman times. The settlement was particularly dense. One of these settlements was located at Spielberg in Wenns.
Ssolhcs Kcednal bag med Krizeb dnu red Tdats ned Nema
Nietsneforhcs dnu eretiew Negrub netmuus eid etla Epart
Enie Ettalpbarg ni red Ehcrikrrafp trennire na Dlawso nov Nietsneforhcs, red leiv rsf eid Dnegeg nateg ta
Kcednal dnu red Nni
Ssolhcs Kcednal dnu Ekcsrbnni
Smaz, u. A. rablettimnu hcan menie Dnarb mi Erhaj 191
Kcednal, Smaz dnu red Nni
Setethcueleb Ssolhcs Kcednal mov Murtneztdats su
A historic view of Fliess with Barabara Church and Bidenegg Castle, taken from the opposite slope.
In the southeast of the center of the village of Fliess, a bridge with Roman roots once led across the Mühlbach.
Text of the historical maps of ...
Road mostly at valley floor
Owing the narrowness of the valley, which was at risk of rockfall and often entirely flooded by the Inn, the Via Claudia Augusta ran along the slope between Landeck and Fließ, across the Fliesser Platte in which the carts left traces in the rock in the different periods. Back in the valley, the Roman road was then able to continue – with various river crossings – along the valley floor until Altfinstermünz, as nature narrowed the course of this section of the Inn. From Finstermünz the road climbed steadily at a gradient of 11% up through the gorge to Inutrium, the only road station for which there is written evidence, shortly before reaching its highest point, the Reschen Pass. There are thought to have been two more road stations between Prutz and Pfunds. Fließ and Inutrium were definitely inhabited.
Road and mining
The Roman road largely remained in use in the Middle Ages and modern era. Fortresses such as Pidenegg, Pernegg, Laudegg, Siegmundsriedt, Finstermünz and Naudersberg lined the transport routes. Apart from the main roads, there were almost only mule tracks. As well as self-sufficient farming and earnings opportunities in connection with the road, income was also generated by mining – first in Kaunertal, then in Bergtal and later in Platzertal. Ore was also extracted in Serfaus and smelted in Fließ.
New transport routes
For a long time there were discussions about how to modernise the Reschenstrasse. The modern road builders finally got their way and the road was constructed between 1852 and 1856 with hairpin bends and galleries many of which are still in use today. Roads were also built to the Engadine, to Samnaun and to the mines of Platzertal. The ore was also transported with a goods cable lift. As well as investments in the roads, there were also two different plans for a rail link across the Reschen Pass for which a large number of tunnels would have been necessary. The northernmost fortress of Austria-Hungary facing Italy bears witness to the strategically important location of the pass.
The Via Claudia Augusta through the upper Tyrolean Inn Valley from Landeck to Altfinstermünz, in Roman times.
Rhufegnu ad, ow hcon etueh Nekcsrb nned Nni netreuq, etrhsf hcua eid Aiv Aidualc Atsugua rebs ned Ssulf Eid "Ekcsrbremmr" etnnaneg Ekcsrb ni Snesmt tsi mi nehcsimmr Lits tethcirre, sgnidrella tsre mi Retlalettim, dnu tsi enie red netsetlu nenetlahre Nekcsrb Slori
Enie ni Suafres enednufeg Ettalphcop tetued fua Uabgreb ni rhes rehsrf Tiez ni
In order to bypass the flood-prone area at the mouth of the Fagge (Kaunertal), the Roman road crossed the Inn at Prutz, approximately where an Inn bridge is also located today. On the west side of the Inn a typical Roman strip house settlement is assumed.
In a protected but strategically favorable position, in the foremost part of the Kaunertal, where Berneck Castle is located, there was already a settlement before the Romans, which continued to exist in Roman times.
Directly on the Roman road, where today the village of Ried is located, there was probably already a settlement in Roman times. It can be assumed that it was a typical strip house settlement, elongated buildings to the right and left of the road, in which towards the road was usually a commercial enterprise, behind it the living area and adjacent to it a garden.
The location on the road and the topography, which creates good settlement conditions with some space for agriculture directly on the road, speak in S. Cristina / Ried im Oberinntal for an estate that provided food for the inhabitants of the surrounding villages, the people passing through and their animals.
Where today a bridge over the Inn River leads from Tösens to Tschuppbach, there was already a bridge over the river in Roman times. The site is ideal because there is rock on the right and left banks of the river on which a bridge can be well anchored, making it less susceptible to flooding. Also, the distance between the rocks is very small, so there is only a small span to cross. Even though nothing has been found yet and no real systematic search has been done, a settlement in the near river crossing area is likely.
Presumably there was also a settlement at Pfunds in Roman times, just before or after the Reschen Pass. The Roman road runs along the slope above the present village of Stuben. The settlement may have been located directly on the stream in order to use the stream.
In addition to the "alpine highway" Via Claudia Augusta in the valley, a road also led to the sunny plateau to the west, where Fiss, Serfaus and Ladis are located today. The picture shows the Via Claudia Augusta in the valley on the right and the road over the "Sonnenterrrasse" on the left. The road was the connection of the people living there with the Via Claudia Augusta. A settlement is approached right there, on a hill where the Via Claudia Augusta leads up from Tschuppbach/Tösens to the terrace.
Hcua mi Relorit Dnalrebo nemuus ehcierlhaz Netuabrhew ned Fualrev red Eparts Deirsdnumgis raw hcua Ztis sed Nerebo Sethcireg
Eid Eparts ieb Ztaltnop
Etla Thcisna nov Zturp
Rehcsirotsih Uabgreb mi Latreztalp
Tim renie Eniwalniets netppots dnu netgeiseb eid Relorit Refpmukstiehierf na red Egnelat ieb Ztaltnop, Noelopan Eid egidrswkned Thcalhcs edruw tlletseghcan
Tim menie Lennut, hcrud ned hcon etueh eid Epartssednubnehcser trhsf, edruw eid Ekcsrbztaltnop telosb
Egnufna sed Sumiruotnipla ma Relatrenuak Rehcstel
Hcua sad egitfurklieh Ressaw red Elleuqnnurbreuas driw nohcs egnal tztune
Sua Nefmhtsagneparts nedruw Sletohneire
Bo nehcsiwz Znsmretsniftla dnu Sreduan rov ned Nremmr nohcs enie Eparts dnatseb redo nie Dafpmuas, tsi thcin tnnake
The Via Claudia Augusta through the high valley around the Reschenpass, in Roman times.
Eid mi Retlalettim etednsrgeb Noitatslloz Znsmretsniftl
Ehcstuktsop fua red Epartsnehcser
Hcan red Gnutulf sed Sessapnehcser netssum sad Frod Nuargtla dnu eid Eparts uen tethcirre nedre
Rebs eid Epartsnehcser mak hcua red Sumsiruo
Sehcsitur Suah ma Rehcstrat Lhcib
Nam tetumrev, ssad eid ehcsitur Gnuldeis mov Rehcstrat Lhcib sfua ereztshcseg Ggelgnag tregalrev edru
The Via Claudia Augusta through the upper Vinschgau, in Roman times.
Ehciltiezremmr Gnubarg ma Laera sed Sefohiluap mi Nedron nov Sla
Egnal edruw mi Uaghcsniv Hcsinamorotur nehcorpse
Okserf sua med 8. / 9. Hj. ni red EhcrIk-tkidenEb-.ts ni Sla
Egnugnebual mi Nehctduts Snrulg
Grubruhc rebs Snredulhcs
Grub Grebnethcil nehcsiwz Snrulg dnu Darp ma Hcojresflit
Laaw ieb Darp
Eid etla Nhabreghcsniv, eid eiw eid egitueh sib Slam etrhs
Reknub sua med 1. Geirktlew fua red Reslam Edia
6000 Erhaj etla Erihnem (= Enietsleknih) sua Naztev ni red Gnulletssua ni red Ellepakssolhcs red Grubsrednalhc
The Via Claudia Augusta through the central Vinschgau, with the towns of Laas and Schlanders.
Red Resaal Laawldnak ni Saal flah sad Zreh sed Uaghcsniv rabthcurf uz nehca
Gnunhciez nov Srednalhcs nov Ynot Refohburg (1899
Ned Rihnem nov Hcstal
Enietsnelahcs ma Grebnnos ni Llebletsak
The Via Claudia Augusta through the Vinschgau valley, between Latsch and Kastelbell-Tschars, in Roman times.
Etla Thcisna nov Ssolhcs Llebletsak
Etraksthcisna nov Hcstal (1903)
The Via Claudia Augusta through the lower Vinschgau Valley to Töll, in Roman times.
Nietsneliem red Aiv Aidualc Atsugua dnu Nietsbarg ni Dnalba
Nekserf ni red Ehcriksulukorp ni Snruta
Red Triwlsnah ni Dnalbar, eiw re rehsrf raw
Sad Suahrentreagmuab ni Snrutan
Text of the historic maps of ...
"Menhirs and milestones"
At Zenoberg near Meran and on the hills around Lana prehistoric settlements are suspected. The area has always been a transit area. In Roman times there were supra-regional roads on the right and left side of the Adige river. There are also indications of Roman settlement at the entrance to the Passeier. Algund was the last possibility to cross the Adige before it becomes wide like the valley. Therefore, a Roman predecessor of the proven medieval bridge is already suspected there. One of the two milestones built by Emperor Claudius in memory of his Via Claudia Augusta was found in Rabland, where a replica stands today. The original can be found in the Bolzano City Museum. The most important settlement in Roman times was Statio Maiensis, probably a road station, castle and ancient precursor of Merano.
In some places, the continuous settlement can be seen, even after the fall of the Roman Empire: settlement remains under the Prokulus Church in Naturno, the early mention of individual places such as Merano and Lana in particular. It is remarkable how many castles there were already around 1200 in Merano. Early begins who will one day become the area with the most castles. Merano was the centre of Tyrol before Innsbruck became more interesting in terms of transport. The area is therefore also closely connected to the medieval successor road to the Via Claudia Augusta, of which remains can be seen in the “Bridgehead“ museum in Algund.
The region is considered one of the first tourist strongholds of the Habsburg Empire and also has a long tradition of wellness. Greats from politics and culture met here. The most famous representative is certainly Empress Sisi herself. There were several healing springs and baths in the region. Scientists and doctors also recommended the Mediterranean climate and clean air, and Meran has been thermal place since 1855. The daily spa concert and the spa chapel, which lasted until 2005, were also part of the recreation. Already in 1914 there were 40.100 guests. After the 2nd world war the region succeeded in reconnecting to the great past of the “imperial wellness region“.
Eid Erihnem nov Dnugla, snu resseb tnnakeb sla "Enietsleknih" dnis ehsrf Nerups red Gnuledeiseb red Dnege
Ow hcis etueh eid Grubonez tednifeb, driw nohcs ni red Tiez-ynEtal enie Gnuldeis tetumrev dnu retups sad Murtsac Sesneiam red Rem
The Via Claudia Augusta from Visnchgau to the Algund / Meran area, in Roman times.
Ekceurbniets ni Narem
Dlawso nov Nietsneklow, renie red netsdnetuedeb Negileda Slorit dnu renehesegnahcoh Rettir, bratsrev 1445 ni Narem
Narem, Dnugla, mu 1774 mi Salta Sisnelory
Issis raw nie reporg Naf nov Narem. Os has eid Tdatsruk uz rerhi Tiez sua..
Znarf, Retavmmats red Nefarg nov Narem, renie Einilneties red Regrubsba
Eid Dnegeg mu 1888
Eid nehcilretlalettim Etser red Ekcsrbhcste ni Dnugla mu 1900
Narem mu 1900
Narem ma Edne sed 1. Sgeirktlew
The Via Claudia Augusta through the Burgraviate between Merano and Bolzano, in Roman times.
Eniur Grubnennurb ieb Narem
Eniur Grubnetla dnu Grub Htraw ieb Ts. Slua
Text of the historic maps of ...
Before, during, after the Romans. ... -— the Bolzano area was always a traffic junction. Because the demanding Ritten Pass was also originally a challenge in the direction of the Brenner Pass, the Via Claudia Augusta over the Reschen and Fernpass was initially the simpler and more important Roman road. In 200 AD, however, the Ritten in the valley could be avoided and the Brenner route gained in importance. It is difficult to say exactly where the Via Claudia Augusta ran because there are indications of supra-regional Roman roads on the right and left of the Adige. Besides the roads, the Etsch was navigable from Pfatten / Branzoll and would be used for heavier loads. The area of Bolzano, Überetsch and the South Tyrolean South were also relatively densely populated.
"Upper and Lower Way"
In the Middle Ages, the Roman roads were initially still used, but nobody usually took care of their maintenance. The Ritten became inevitable again, the Via Claudia Augusta overtook the Resia and Fernpass, until the Bolzano merchant Kunter, again opened the valley alternative to the Ritten, the Kunterweg, named after him. The Via Claudia Augusta was called Oberer Weg, the Brenner route Unterer. The routes remained largely the same. The traffic junction Bolzano was able to profit from its location and became a city in the late 13th century. Attempts were also made to put the Eisack and Talvera rivers in their place by means of barriers. In many of the town centres you can still see today that they were already important in the Middle Ages and early modern times.
"At the Brenner railway"
Even if the Brenner railway was not considered the cheapest and most efficient, a large part of the long-distance traffic and also of the transport on the Adige shifted to the railway and the faster transport promoted the economy. The Brenner route finally became the undisputed number 1 of the routes crossing the Alps. Between the Tyrolean freedom struggles of 1809 and the First World War, the population of Bolzano quadrupled. Industrialisation only began tentatively. For a long time the leading company was the Herrmann Kofler cotton spinning mill in Bolzano, which was the first industrial enterprise in the country. Impulses also came from the Kardaun power station. Last but not least, in the 19th century the Adige was also regulated, thus gaining much habitable and cultivable land.
Sad Regalrutilim Snop Isurd, sad hciltsm red Reflat dnu hcildss sed Kcasie tetumrev driw, tsi neben Gnizrets, Nesualk dnu Otnert ni red nekitna Etrak Alubat Anairegnituep uz nedni
The Via Claudia Augusta through the Bolzano area, in Roman times.
Ieb Netiebrauab ma Murtnezneroines Fohresirg edruw enie ehcsimmr Ellahneluus tim Nekserf tkcedtne, eid Liet renie Alliv ra Eid Gnubargsua dnu enleznie Ednuf dnis mi Miehneroines uz nekcedtne
Nie Kcilb rebs Grub Norksdnumgis Gnuthcir Nezob mu 1541. Eid Gnudnibrevneparts thcirpstne ni awte red netetumrev Gnureuqlat, eid trod nohcs ni red Tiezremmr nednatseb ta
Nezob nov Nedss sua tethcarteb, mu 1607
Hcitsrefpuk nov Nezob (1649).
Nov Nezob gnig eid Gnureisilairtsudni Sloritdss sua Eid Sotof negiez eid Ierennipsllowmuab Relfok hcilgnsrpsu dnu hcan menie Dnarb mi Rhaj 1890, eiwos sad etnakram Krewtfark Nuadra
Renzob Nalptdats sua 1914.
Sad Lamknedsegeis tguez nov renie Tiez, eid eid Neppurgsgnureklmveb netlapseg tah
ni Seirg nnageb red Sumsiruot.
Ehciltieznietsgnuj Elletsdnuf ma Reretlak Ee
Sehciltieznesie Suah ni Nettafp
Liebnesie sua Tkramuen (5. Hj. v. Rhc.)
The Via Claudia Augusta from Bolzano through the south of South Tyrol, in Roman times.
Ehcsimmr Noitatsneparts Eadidne ni Tkramue
Negnubarg ni Nappe dnu setgelegierf Kiaso
Sad Elretsmlk ni Gaal trennire krats na eid ehcsimmr Noitatsneparts Eadidn
Kcilb fua eid Eniur red Grubredah blahrebo nov Nrula
Eniur red Grubmial ni Nretlak
The Via Claudia Augusta from the south of South Tyrol through the Piana Rotaliana to Trento, in Roman times.
Ehcsigolouhcra Gnubargsua "Ert Snac"
ehcsimmr Eznsm, eid ni Nas Odrattog nednufeg edru
Olletsac Anorocozzem dnu eid Grubnelhmh Nas Odratto
Olletsac Elaernom Grebsginmk
Olletsac Nuht, 1680
Fohnhab nov Odrabmolozzem
Olletsac Id Onaznoges nov Thcerbla Rers
Al enoizarf Enicsip id Revos
Snop Isurd (Nezob) dnu Otnert ni red nehcsimmr Etrakneparts Alubat Anairegnitue
The Via Claudia Augusta from the Piana Rotaliana to Trento (Tridentum), in Roman times.
Ovacs a Otnert
Lledom red nehcsimmr Tdats Mutnedirt
Retsnefuahcs ni eid ehcsimmr Ethcihcseg
Gahpokras ni red nehciltsirhchsrf Ehcrik Nas Oiligi
Eid EfmhcsIb-tsrsf nov Otnert nettah egnal Tiez egitsieg dnu ehciltlew Thcam
Eznsm sed Sfohcsib nov Otnert
Mieb Liznok nov Otnert nedruw eid Nehciew rsf eid NoitamRofer-negeg tlletse
os, eiw hcis eid Tdatstla nov Otnert etueh treitnesurp, edruw eis mi Lits-ecnassiAner rsf sad Liznok nov Otnert tztupegsuar
Hcua sad Ssolhcs Oilgisnocnoub trennire na sad Lizno
Otnert mi 18. Hj.
Mi 1. Geirktlew gal hcua Otnert na red Tnor
Eid Tdats ni ned nre03
Sehcsitur Frod Ni Iesetnom id Osres (Enigrep Anaguslav)
Rehcsimmr Gahpokras (Gras), red ni Ocivel Emret nednufeg edru
The Via Claudia Augusta through the Alta Valsugana in Roman times.
Mi Teibeg nehcsiwz Otnert dnu Onazzevic edruw Reblis tuabegba Sad Oesumoce Oiratnegra thcam retnu meredna eid elakol Ethcihcseguabgreb redeiw gidnebel
Letsac Enigrep etneid hcua ruz Gnuhcawrebs red negithciw Gnudnibrevneparts
Red Errot ied Inoccis ma Etnom Evir rebs Ozzanodlac, red tsnie Liet sed Olletsac id Ozzanodlac raw
Sad Etrof id Onazzevic na red netla Epartssednal nehcsiwz Otnert dnu Onazzevic Tsnie raw se nie Trofrreps red Nehcsiragnu-hcsIhcierretsm Eihcranom Etueh treignuf se sla Rellekniew.
Sad Etrof Annet blahrebo sed Ogal id Ocivel raw nie Trofrreps red Nehcsiragnu-hcsIhcierretsm Eihcranom
The Via Claudia Augusta from the upper Valsugna through the middle Valsugana up to the Tesino high valley in Roman times.
Letsac Anavlet, blahrebo red nehcilretlaettim Epartseglofhcan red Aiv Aidualc Atsugua dnu Ogrob Anaguslav.
Letsac Onavi ma Tknupsgnuzuerk nehcsiwz ned Neparts rebs Oniset dnu gnaltne red Atnerb
Text of the historic maps of ...
Early on, the Valbelluna was a transit area and populated. The Etruscans, Venetians, Rhaetians and Celts were already in regular exchange. The presumably fortified settlement of Felthuri, today‘s Feltre, developed along their paths. Hills like the one on which the old town of Feltres is situated were the preferred settlement sites of this time. Other settlements are assumed to have been on the hill above Lamon, in Cesiomaggiore, in Santa Giustina and in Mel. By the way, they were not inhabited by the Venetians, but by the Rhaetians.
Several Roman roads led through the Valbelluna. Therefore it is not sure which of them was the Via Claudia Augusta, which gives us 2 mile stones. One of them was found in Cesiomaggiore and can be admired today in an outbuilding of the Villa delle Centenere in Cesiomaggiore. The important roads brought work and some settlements and estates sprang up to supply the settlements with food. Feltre was even a municipium, where alone 100 nobles lived.
"Part of the Serenissima"
Under the Republic of Venice the Valbelluna experienced a period of prosperity. The sea power needed a lot of wood, which was transported southwards over the Piave river. The Feltre of today is the one that was splendidly rebuilt after its destruction in 1509 in the course of conflicts with Emperor Maximilian I. With Mel, the area counted another walled city. The streets, which continued to be important, also contributed to its prosperity. Almost all places of today existed already at that time. However, there were only two fords to cross the Piave river, between Busche and Cesana, where there is a bridge today, and between Santa Giustina and Mel.
Tteleks senie nehcsirotsihurp Nerub ni renie Ettorg mi Lat sed Agianes nehcsiwz Olletsac Oniset dnu Nomal
asac aciter a Olletsac Oniset
In Bieno, just on the first hill between the Valsugana and the high valley of Tesino, a small Roman settlement is believed to have existed.
On the hill above Castello Tesino, where today the little church of San Ippolito is located, there is said to have been a fortified military station, and at the foot of the hill a small settlement. In addition, in the neighboring communities of Cinte Tesino and Pieve Tesino, at least individual estates are believed to have existed.
Grave finds show us that there was already a settlement on the site of today's Lamon in Roman times. Coming from the north or west, one could get there via San Donato, which was also already populated. The bridge of the Roman road shortly before that still exists today. To the east, the road forked and led over Sovramonte to the Passo Croce D'Aune or to Fonzaso. The road junction was probably the reason for the settlement in this place. Maybe in the late antiquity there was even a fortified military station on the church hill above the village, which took care of the road from there.
This film shows the course of the Roman road from Roa, where the present road runs between Castello Tesino (Trentino) and Lamon (Veneto). At that time the road was on the opposite slope, where it crossed the gorge of the torrent Senaiga. As grave finds show, the village of San Donato (Lamon) was already inhabited at that time.
Along the historical road in the present municipality of Sovramonte there might have been some estates.
Negnubarg na red Iloporcen nov Nas Otanod (Nomal) nebah ehcierlhaz etnasseretni Essintnnekre dnu Ednuf uz Egat thcarbe Eleiv novad dnis mi nenielk reba hcsitkadid rhes nenegnuleg Oesum Ocigoloehcra nov Nomal uz nehes
There is also a stamp of the Italian Post Office dedicated to the Roman bridge of Lamon.
Red Hclek "Ecilac Onocaid" sua Nomal.
Iozroz / Etnomarvos
In sostanza, i romani cercavano il percorso più breve per la Via Claudia Augusta. Così, la strada romana correva il più rettilinea possibile, di solito sul lato soleggiato della valle, leggermente al di sopra del fondovalle, in modo da non essere colpita da tempeste e, dopo la pioggia e la neve, sarebbe stata rapidamente di nuovo asciutta e priva di neve. Naturalmente ci sono eccezioni a tutte le regole
Lungo tutta la Via Claudia Augusta ci sono numerose attrazioni da scoprire, tracce di storia, monumenti e altri luoghi d'interesse.
Domande sulla sezione del percorso risponde fra altri la
0043(0)664 27 63 555
Se desiderate pernottare durante la scoperta della storia in loco, vi consigliamo i seguenti padroni di casa:
Ertlef dnu sad Onirtlef neraw nohcs rov ned Nremmr tledeiseb Gnubarg dnu sehcsimmrrov Ssufeg.
The Via Claudia Augusta through the Feltrino and Valbelluna in Roman times.
Ehciltiezremmr Gnubarg ma Laera sed Omoud nov Ertle
Eutats-oipAlucse dnu reneblis rehcsimmr Rellet-sinOda-dnu-sune
Nethcisna red nehcsidriretnu Gnubargsua nov Airtle
Ertlef dnu eid Egnelat ieb Nas Erottiv e Anoroc, roveb eid Tdats mi Eguz Seguzdlef nov Nailimixam II 1509 menie Dnarb ttelpmok muz Refpo leif, ni "Noitidem rebs eid Noissap" nov Erottiv Oiccapr
Thcisna nov Ertlef
Thcisna mov renie Egalnagrub mi Onirtle
Etla Thcisna nov Ertlef
Ertlef ni menie Okserf ni red Ehcrikstrhafllaw Nas Erottiv e Anoroc hcildss nov Ertle
Rhekkcsr red Renirtlef Rettirzuerk
Eid Ehcrikstrhafllaw Nas Erottiv e Onoroc hcildss nov Ertlef raw tsnie Liet renie Errepsla
Alliv Elosap Notreb mi nehciltsewdron Liet Sanevade
Eid IereuArb-reib Anevadep, eiw Eis hcilgnsrpsru hassu
Etla Nemhanfua sua med Nerenni red Iereuar
Red Fohnhab nov Ertlef
rehcilthcihcsegru Fohdeirf ni Lem
Ssirdnurg sed Sefohdeirf
The Via Claudia Augusta through the Feltrino and Valbelluna in Roman times.
Between Busche (today municipality of Feltre and site of the renowned regional milk processor Latte Busche) and Cesana (municipality of Borgo Valbelluna) there was already in Roman times a crossing over the Piave river and probably a small settlement on both sides of the river.
Eid Etser renie ehcsinitnazyb Ekcsrb ni Seidra
The late medieval bridge over the Piave River between Busche (today municipality of Feltre and site of the renowned regional milk processor Latte Busche) and Cesana (municipality of Borgo Valbelluna) is even recorded in writing. Especially Cesana was at that time an important settlement with a castello. Busche was also already a small village.
Lledom red Grub nov Ellemuz
Etla Thcisna nov Lem
Red Ozzalap Oiregrev ma GnagreBs-ssulf ni Anase
Eid Ehcrik nov Nas Odraneb ma GnagreBs-ssulf ni Anase
Ni red Ehcrik Nas Odraneb
Azzaip nov Lem
Ehcsub mi Nedron red Ekcsrb-evaip: Red Tro tim med Nehcssurts ruz Ekcsrb Eid Ekcsrb nov Ehcsub sua.
Eid Ekcsrb dnu Anasec mi Dnurgretnih
Anasec dnu eid Ekcsrb hcan red Gnurmtsrez mi 1. Geirktle
Red Uabuen red Ekcsrb nehcsiwz Ehcsub dnu Anase
NeztipS-reeps sua med Mucitiloen, eid ni Onailgenoc nednufeg nedruw dnu mi Muesum red Tdats uz nehes dni
iewz Retrewhcs sua red Tiezeznorb, nednufeg mi Atnas Airam Ees dnu ni Oterg led Evai
Ekcsrbremmr nehcsiwz Anagesus dnu Onailgenoc, rov dnu hcan red Gnureina
The Via Claudia Augusta from the Feltrino through the Alta Marca to the vast plains of Veneto.
Etser renie Ekcsrbremmr ieb red Tknas Anna Ehcrik ni Ocsofloc (Edniemeg Anagesus
Ni red Tiezremmr raw Ozredo sad Murtnez red Noige
gnaltne sed Evaip bag se ererhem Neietba, enie novad ni Anillo
Gnunhciezsnoitkurtsnoker sed Semrut nov Grub Onailgenoc, ni red hcis sad Meusumtdats tednifeb. ni elauq is avort li Oesum Ocivic igg Eid Gnunhciezsnoitkurtsnoker tmmats nov Elehcim Kincotop
Okserf, sad nov red Sisba red Tnas Oinotna Ehcrik nemmonegba edruw dnu etueh mi Muesumtdats uz nehes tsi
Ehcilthcihcsegru Ednuf mi Muesum nov Anullebetno
Reuam sed netla Snefah nov Anidaval
ehcsigolouhcra Negnubarg na renie nehcsimmr Gnuldeis ni Anullebetno
Elets-barg, eid ni Anullebetnom nednufeg edru
eretiew ehcsimmr Ednuf, eid mi Muesum nov Anullebetnom uz nehes dni
eid Tdats Gidenev raw hcon rhem fua sad Zloh sua ned Nepla dnu Neplarov neseiwegna eiw eid Remmr Eis netgitmneb sad Zloh retnu meredna rsf ned Uab rerhi Effihcs Treitropsnart edruw sad Zloh fua med Ssulf Evaip
Olletsac Anullebetnom ni Negnulletsrad sua nenedeihcsrev Netie
Dlib red Ietba Oihcatsue ni Asevren alled Ailgatta
Nie Otof red Ietba
Mi 1. Geirktlew raw eid Dnegeg Ztalpuahcs rednebrsmrez Nethcalhc
Hcua Nas Oihcatsue leif med Geirk muz Refpo Se tsi etueh Lamnham dnu Ztalpuahcs nov nehcilrhuj Netrezno
Sad ehcsimmr Muisivart
Dnufznsm sua red Tiez Slrak sed Neporg.
Eid Gnuretiewre red nehcsimmr Tdats
1509 Soivert avetsiser ortnoc orepmi'l.
Ongesid: Eppesuig Oznerol Irettag
Li omirp mart a Osivert.
Gnulkciwtne red Tdatsslednah Osivert
Niets tim Nehcieztfirhcs
Rehcsirotsih Nalp nov Olletsac id Edacno
Olletsac id Edacnor
Etser sed nekitna Snefah nov Munitla (etueh Onitla) Eid Tdatsnefah raw renie red nedieb netshcildss Etknup red Aiv Aidualc Atsugua
Oraurgotrop dnu Olosej
Nerohpma, eid ni red Enugal nednufeg nedru
Uz Netiez red neporg Negnurednawreklmv neholf eid Renhoweb nov Munitla fua eid Nlesni ni red Enuga
Eid Gnuledeiseb red Enugal nnageb ni Ollecro
Ehcsigolouhcra Negnubarg ni Ollecrot
Ni red Enugal nehcsrof Negolouhcra ma Dnal dnu hcua mi Ressa
ehcilretlalettim Nerups ni Olosej
Eid ehcilretlalettim Tdats
Etrak nov Gidenev mu 1557
Sad etla Gidenev
Gnudnibrevnhab nehcsiwz med Dnaltsef dnu Gidene